How to dye your hair with Kool-aid? Yeah that’s right. The best thing about it is that it’s not permanent! Lasts for about two weeks. All you need is two or more packets of your color choice, a small bowl or two (depending on how many colors you're planning on doing), water, and some of your everyday conditioner! This is super simple. BUT let me just say that this works very well with blondes. Sort of hard to do on dark hair. Try bleaching it if you have dark hair (I know bleaching isn't quite non-permanent, I'm sorry all you dark brunettes :(....)
What you'll need:
- good-sized paint brush (for streaks of color)
- 2 or more packets of unsweetened Kool-Aid (more if you're doing many streaks or your whole hair)
- small bowls for each color
- plastic wrap and/or tin foil (plastic wrap is more comfy to sleep on. I know from experience...)
- disposable plastic gloves
- This stains pretty much everything from clothing to skin to white counter tops. put down some newspaper!
- The dryer and more brittle hair will keep in the color the longest
- Sometimes, the red Kool-Aid can be permanent (from what I’ve heard online)
- Can last longer than two weeks (as did mine)
(Update: If you have blonde hair, add some orange streaks to the second layer of hair. I've done it and it looks really pretty and cool!)
STEP ONE: (If you are dying your whole head, I suggest about five packets, although you might need more or less considering whether or not you have long or short hair. For a streak, I’d say two or three packets would be just perfect!) Put the powder into a smallish bowl.
STEP THREE: Add about a palm size amount of conditioner or more if you feel the need. (if you’re doing your whole head, you should do more.) Mix everything with a paint brush.
STEP FOUR: If you're doing a streak, take a piece of hair, paint your Kool-Aid paste onto the strand. Be VERY careful not to get it on any other hair that you don't want colored (if this happens, wash your hair immediately). To dye your whole head, massage the color into your hair (be careful of getting it on your skin because this STAINS)
WAKE UP: Take the tinfoil and plastic wrap out of your head and take a shower. For the first wash, don't shampoo or condition.
Enjoy your newly Kool-aid dyed hair :) Tell me how it works out! Here's a color chart for Kool-Aid:
|Kool-Aid Color Chart|